Thursday, May 9, 2013

New Skills

 
                                                              








               Gymnastics


Well this word and these images have been a part of my life since I was a girl.  Now they are part of my everyday life due to the fact that my two youngest daughters are competitive gymnasts.  So since I go to the gym often and always go to all their meets, I decided to take the plunge.  I decided to become a judge.  This may seem like no bug deal, but we live in Norway.  I asked their coach if they needed judges and what you had to do and guess what there was a class starting in a few weeks.  Little did I know it was all in Norweigian.  The girls and I have been taking Norwegian since October, but no way was I prepared for a class that required 12 hours of class time in Norwegian.  
I decided to give it a try.  The class was taught in Norwegian and I could follow some of what wa said.  Maybe it was because it had to do with gymnastics and that made it easier.  I would go home and spend hours translating the Norwegian gymnastics terms into English with the help of google translate and my daughters (who go to 12 hours of gymnastics practice in Norwegian).  The final class was to judge 3 girls in each discipline.  No problem I thought, then realized that some of the stuff had not been translated.  I made it through it with not many mistakes, but then the real hard part a written test, you guessed it in Norwegian.  With the help of the instructor translating some things I got through the test.  I had to wait a week to see if I passed and I did.  I was so excited and come to find out I was fourth in the class of 10 people.  That may not seem good to you, but with Norwegian not being my first language I was thrilled.  So now I am a gymnastics judge in Norway.  I have to judge my first competition on the 25th of May.  
Next on my list you guessed it to get my american judges certificate.  
I will let you know how things go at my first competition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment