Sunday, July 27, 2014

Last Day In Holland

This is the cute little house that we stayed in while in Holland.  It was very nice.  It was just a few minutes to walk to the beach.
 After we checked out of the house, we went to the cheese market in Alkmaar.  This man was moving the cheese up the canal to market.  It was like watching the gondola in Venice.There was a lot of cheese.  They test the cheese by thumping on it, like i saw my father do to test watermelons.  Then if it is good they start negotiating a price.  Once the price is good they load it up on the sled looking things and run it to the scales.

These are some of the men moving the cheese.

The other picture is in the building where they weigh the cheese.

It is really an amazing thing to watch.  They have been doing this for many years.  20 years ago my husband and I were in the same the city watching the cheese market.  They also have some of the best french fires you will ever eat.  I bought some fries from the same place that I had 20 years ago.   It was fun to go back.
 




This lady will but some cheese and a bag from the cart and what is in it gets sold for 10 euros.  They sell it to people in the crowd.





This is T and N in some really big wooden shoes.  They still wear them today.  They also sell lots as wall art and just souvenirs.
They look real happy to be doing this for me, but all parents need so good blackmailing pictures.  I really think it is cute.











Sometimes they even put children on the sleds.
You also never know what you will see.  I use to think the U.S. had the market on crazy gear, but this guy was just sitting in a cafe having a drink.


This is the final group picture from the girls gymnastics camp.  I will post more pictures of the camp once I get T's SD card.

We had lots of fun in Holland.  It has been one of my favorite places.  It is beautiful and it is cool to see where they make some of my favorite cheeses.

Remember to come back to see what else we are doing.

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment